I decided to start making my own dog bones when Chelsea & Penny got sick from eating store bought bones, so I started looking for recipes online. I finally put some recipes together after seeing some that I thought sounded good. Then I found a bone cookie cutter for under .50 cents, which makes about 70 bones. I recently found a little bit bigger cutter at a thrift store for 10 cents, this one makes about 50 bones. I have fun making these for the dogs, and the dogs love eating them hot out of the oven, well slightly cooler than warm out of the oven.
These are fun presents to give to your dog friends too. I'm thinking about doing some for valentines day, heart shaped of course! I sent the peanut butter bones out to my family for their dogs Christmas gifts, but I did a little gingerbread men instead of the bone cutter. I also sent out veggie bones in different sizes.
Here is the recipe for my favorite to make. They dough is really easy to work with, and the bones smell so good while baking....
"Chelsea's Cheesy Biscuits"
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1. Combine flour and garlic powder in mixing bowl.
2. Gradually add oil, cheese, milk and egg. Mix up into dough until well blended.
3. Knead dough on a floured surface for about a minute or 2.
4. Roll out dough to about 1/2" and cut with your favorite doggie cookie cutter.
5. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet, I use butter flavored pam.
6. Bake at 400 for 20 to 25 minutes.
7. Cool on rack and store at room temp in a container with a loose fitting lid. I have an old cookie jar that
I use. The dogs know exactly where it is!
I hope that your dogs enjoy this recipe as much as ours do. I have a couple more that I will post when I
make them, I usually make dog biscuits every couple of weeks, so keep your eye out for the next one!