December 30, 2009

New Years Changes.

Instead of resolutions, which I always seem not to accomplish. I decided to make CHANGES to my life for 2010.
I read this article on a blog recently "Zen Habits". You can find it in my favorite blogs bar on the right side of this page.
So here ya go, I am personally going to follow this myself so that the changes I make will be permanent.

The 6 Changes Method

So how does the 6 Changes method work?

It’s simple:

  1. Pick 6 habits for 2010.
  2. Pick 1 of the 6 habits to start with.
  3. Commit as publicly as possible to creating this new habit in 2 months.
  4. Break the habit into 8 baby steps, starting with a ridiculously easy step. Example: if you want to floss, the first step is just to get out a piece of floss at the same time each night.
  5. Choose a trigger for your habit - something already in your routine that will immediately precede the habit. Examples: eating breakfast, brushing your teeth, showering, waking up, arriving at the office, leaving the office, getting home in the evening.
  6. Do the 1st, really easy baby step for one week, right after the trigger. Post your progress publicly. (Read more.)
  7. Each week, move on to a slightly harder step. You’ll want to progress faster, but don’t. You’re building a new habit. Repeat this until you’ve done 8 weeks.
  8. You now have a new habit! Commit to Habit No. 2 and repeat the process.

I go more into this method in the free ebook - you’ll be able to download it soon.

For more on successful habit change technique, as well as ways to simplify your life and become more effective, check out my book, The Power of Less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment!

 Bringing the blog back to life.  Hey Friends!  I know it has been a super long time since I've been here, and I'm hoping that you w...